Cheyenne Botanic Gardens News and Events
Gardening doesn’t have to be expensive
Now is a great time to get ready for the summer garden. With many family budgets being tight, you can save money by being on the lookout for used gardening tools at garage sales. Shovels, trowels, rakes, hoes, pots and even rototillers can be found for cheap at the early spring sales.
Some other money saving tips include:
- Look for early season sales on fertilizer or purchase during the off-season.
- Share seed with your friends and neighbors.
- Divide older perennials into many plants instead of purchasing new plants.
- Purchase smaller trees and shrubs for a lower price. In a few years they will be indistinguishable from the more expensive larger plants.
- Grow your own seedlings instead of purchasing from a store.
- Save on chemicals, go organic.
- Recycle pots
- Make your own compost. See our Compost Handout
see information about an upcoming talk on this subject