Gardening has a lot of bending over. Someone once said that gardeners “need a cast iron back with hinges for bending over”
Here are some tips to minimize back problems as a result of gardening:
1) Don’t overdo it on any one given day. . work up to the daily tasks of gardening.
2) Bend your knees more rather than your back.
3) Never twist when you are lifting.
4) Use knee pads so that you can get down where the plants are and can comfortably work. Remember gardening has brought as many people to their knees as religion!
5) Make raised beds for easier access.
6) Use long handled tools to reduce reaching.
7) Use a wheelbarrow, dolly or a cart to move heavy plants or piles of debris.
8) Consider getting a garden kneeler